I have heard that you should put Christmas cactus in the dark to stimulate blooming. How long? Anything else. It did not work last year. Mine is very happy right now having been outside all summer, even though we had tons of rain.

Views: 452

Replies to This Discussion

Hiya Barb,  GREAT to see your post.  Glad you're back online.  :)  I love your Easter cacti!  They are so, so pretty!  They are a different plant from Christmas and Thanksgiving cacti, but are just as nice, and you're right, they do bloom at a different time of year.  I have a red one and a hot pink, but not a white one, so I have Plant Envy, LOL.  Thanks for sharing yours with us.  You'll be able to notice how the blooms open up a bit more in daytime than at night, and more on sunny days than cloudy days.  How fun is that???  Thanks for sharing the eye candy!  Congrats on the Easter (also sometimes called "Spring") cacti! 

Click here to see Easter cacti and Christmas cacti identification g...

Happy gardening!

Grant

Hey Grant. I saw your link on iding them.. I am not happy about how picky they are as of now the purple one is not blooming but dieing out some with the blooms.. the white one seems happy and doing fine.. O well. Learned to not get this type.. I will see how they do for this year to the next  and keep them like they like it as best I can.. LOL..  

I have them planted and outside in a big yellow basket with a red wax begonia for color contrast. I see lots of new growth and I hope they bloom come next winter/spring.  I have them in different colored striped pots but U can not see that from this angle.. lol.. they do get some sun but I try to not let them get to much.. loluck again.. How is everyone elses doing?? NOT really HOT yet, but coming soon.

Its the shorter daylight hours and cooler weather that send the message to them to flower, so they would get confused bringing them indoors. Tip---don,t over water and I find they like their roots to be tight in the pot . There are different types  I have an orange one with fibrous tips,  one that is just starting to bud now, which is the start of spring , my other pinky shaded ones have finished flowering.

RSS

Latest Activity

Anna Marie- Zone 9b Fla updated their profile
13 hours ago
Anna Marie- Zone 9b Fla posted a status
"Hi everyone! Here's an extensive seed list. http://shar.es/TE0eP Off Grid Info - Giant List"
13 hours ago
Vicky Myers commented on Community Manager's group Vegetable Gardens
"There is a neighbor across the grape field and an other on the other side of an other field. Sorry but I don't want any dogs after living here with dogs barking all around me."
18 hours ago
Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia commented on Tory Ricketts's photo
Thumbnail

cherry-blossom-tree

"Soooo pretty."
18 hours ago
Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia commented on S. Asherah Taylor's group Orchids
"We had an inch of rain last night, so I just went out to check that my new orchids did not get too wet. They are up against the house under the eves, it did get in a bit but not enough to worry about."
18 hours ago
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Grant, Scottsdale,Arizona Zone 9's photo
Thumbnail

Iris Batik white splash April 12 2014

"Love the name Toucan Tango. It needs a dark colored background to really show off. My gray house siding just doesn't do it justice in photos. "
18 hours ago
Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia commented on Community Manager's group Vegetable Gardens
"Vicky you might need a dog, the place has been empty for a while and sounds like some strange people are hanging around. Are their neighbors close by, I am a bit concerned for you on your own. But don,t want to put you off either, I think the move…"
18 hours ago
Clare Oliva commented on Tory Ricketts's photo
Thumbnail

cherry-blossom-tree

"WOW! Just gorgeous!"
18 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Community Manager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service