I have heard that you should put Christmas cactus in the dark to stimulate blooming. How long? Anything else. It did not work last year. Mine is very happy right now having been outside all summer, even though we had tons of rain.

Views: 509

Replies to This Discussion

Hiya Barb,  GREAT to see your post.  Glad you're back online.  :)  I love your Easter cacti!  They are so, so pretty!  They are a different plant from Christmas and Thanksgiving cacti, but are just as nice, and you're right, they do bloom at a different time of year.  I have a red one and a hot pink, but not a white one, so I have Plant Envy, LOL.  Thanks for sharing yours with us.  You'll be able to notice how the blooms open up a bit more in daytime than at night, and more on sunny days than cloudy days.  How fun is that???  Thanks for sharing the eye candy!  Congrats on the Easter (also sometimes called "Spring") cacti! 

Click here to see Easter cacti and Christmas cacti identification g...

Happy gardening!

Grant

Hey Grant. I saw your link on iding them.. I am not happy about how picky they are as of now the purple one is not blooming but dieing out some with the blooms.. the white one seems happy and doing fine.. O well. Learned to not get this type.. I will see how they do for this year to the next  and keep them like they like it as best I can.. LOL..  

I have them planted and outside in a big yellow basket with a red wax begonia for color contrast. I see lots of new growth and I hope they bloom come next winter/spring.  I have them in different colored striped pots but U can not see that from this angle.. lol.. they do get some sun but I try to not let them get to much.. loluck again.. How is everyone elses doing?? NOT really HOT yet, but coming soon.

Its the shorter daylight hours and cooler weather that send the message to them to flower, so they would get confused bringing them indoors. Tip---don,t over water and I find they like their roots to be tight in the pot . There are different types  I have an orange one with fibrous tips,  one that is just starting to bud now, which is the start of spring , my other pinky shaded ones have finished flowering.

Now late Autumn here and my Zygo (Christmas Cactus) are loaded with buds, so I am hoping this will be the year I have some spectacular displays.  Seems as I though I have finally found them all a spot in the garden where they are happy enough to all bloom.  I will post a pic when they start to bloom as one looks as if it could be in bloom by next week.

RSS

Latest Activity

Lorraine Smith Pacific NW posted photos
23 minutes ago
lynda crawford posted photos
4 hours ago
lynda crawford and Judith Ferris are now friends
4 hours ago
Barb Z-7b Okla commented on Freddy J. Hill's photo
Thumbnail

20140611_101956

"Pettable like a lamb hu?  Right.. Looks like it could bite U pretty good!! Superb Opuntia tequilana for sure..  I like my Opuntia forest green! their sure are a lot of different species out their..  "
9 hours ago
Joan *Flower Angel*.. Z-8 commented on Joseph Wright's photo
Thumbnail

"BEAUTIFUL BLOOMS..."
10 hours ago
Joan *Flower Angel*.. Z-8 commented on Carolyn Wakefield's photo
Thumbnail

Cone Flowers

"LOVELY..."
10 hours ago
Joan *Flower Angel*.. Z-8 commented on Freddy J. Hill's photo
Thumbnail