I thought they were different. Moonflower from Morning Glory family and Datura from Angel's Trumpet family. However, when I try to buy the seeds they categorize them as the same. I am looking for the one that the bloom opens during the day as well and thought that was Datura but now not so sure. HELP

Views: 3591

Replies to This Discussion

Here are the photos I took last month.  This one plant has been cut back three times this season!  It was nearly destroyed by a really bad hail storm.  My whole yard was wiped out in June from that storm. I lost a lot of plants but this guy came back just fine.
Attachments:

Brugmansia is a small tree or large perennial (in warm climates) shrub, known for its Trumpet shaped, large downward pointing blooms. It smells heavenly at dusk after a hot day. Wind will shred it, so plant it in a sheltered spot. It prefers shade in hottest gardens and is NOT a hardy plant after 30 degrees.

Moonflowers are in the ipomea family, and are an annual vine.

Rose, there is a moonflower vine and also a moonflower bush.  

They are not the same plant, just the same common name.  The bush is a datura.

Thank you for posting the pictures. They look great. I bought some seeds for the datura of eBay and waiting to see what happens. Hopefully it will establish before it gets too cold. I am in zone 10 off of San Diego, California

U r correct n saying the dantura blooms n the day. This olants is also known as the angel trumpet.

I do not know why they put them n the same categories, one is a vine & 1 is a plant. Moon vines r of the morning glory category bot moon vines only bloom @ night. Do not let the categories scare u away. BOTH r beautiful plants. The Dantura comes in several colors & we grow them outside here n central La. It comes back every yr if mulched. The moon vine must b planted yearly. ENJOY THEM!

RSS

Latest Activity

LynishTan commented on LynishTan's photo
Thumbnail

Photo uploaded on August 28, 2014

"Many thanks Joan for your support!"
1 hour ago
LynishTan commented on LynishTan's photo
Thumbnail

Don't Throw away the broken pot!

"Joan,those pictures had been share by my friend in China, I remember I do hv a broken pot but just throw away, pity right? So, by sharing these pictures at least to let other garden's friends learn a new tactic to reused those broken pot turned…"
4 hours ago
Clare Oliva posted photos
4 hours ago
Vicky Myers commented on Community Manager's group Vegetable Gardens
"Woooo HOOOO just counted 10 bees on the garlic chive blooms. I had only seen one since I moved here in May. Still getting zuc on our two plants. The basil started to grow after it cooled off a bit but then it warmed up again the past few days. I…"
4 hours ago
Clare Oliva commented on Grant, Scottsdale,Arizona Zone 9's photo
Thumbnail

Another air-plant Tillansdia

"Very cool! And I see that they are really big (Thanks Wilson)!"
4 hours ago
Clare Oliva commented on Grant, Scottsdale,Arizona Zone 9's photo
Thumbnail

Huernia no id east side of house bloom close July 2014

"Grant, my huernia bloomed last week and I didn't get around to taking a picture of it until the next day. But then it was gone. Do they only bloom for one day? I'll have to take the picture right away the next time I see a bloom. "
4 hours ago
Vicky Myers commented on Grant, Scottsdale,Arizona Zone 9's group Houseplants
"My houseplants are hanging in Some stll look really sad from the move. Have food plants under a grow light. My grape ivy think that's it's name is growing like crazy. The spider looks like crap all the tips are dry and it's not a deep…"
4 hours ago
Clare Oliva commented on Clare Oliva's photo
Thumbnail

Parasol Lady Surrounded by Flowers

"Thanks Linda. We're enjoying every last minute -- while it lasts..."
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Community Manager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service