I thought they were different. Moonflower from Morning Glory family and Datura from Angel's Trumpet family. However, when I try to buy the seeds they categorize them as the same. I am looking for the one that the bloom opens during the day as well and thought that was Datura but now not so sure. HELP

Views: 3328

Replies to This Discussion

Here are the photos I took last month.  This one plant has been cut back three times this season!  It was nearly destroyed by a really bad hail storm.  My whole yard was wiped out in June from that storm. I lost a lot of plants but this guy came back just fine.
Attachments:

Brugmansia is a small tree or large perennial (in warm climates) shrub, known for its Trumpet shaped, large downward pointing blooms. It smells heavenly at dusk after a hot day. Wind will shred it, so plant it in a sheltered spot. It prefers shade in hottest gardens and is NOT a hardy plant after 30 degrees.

Moonflowers are in the ipomea family, and are an annual vine.

Rose, there is a moonflower vine and also a moonflower bush.  

They are not the same plant, just the same common name.  The bush is a datura.

Thank you for posting the pictures. They look great. I bought some seeds for the datura of eBay and waiting to see what happens. Hopefully it will establish before it gets too cold. I am in zone 10 off of San Diego, California

U r correct n saying the dantura blooms n the day. This olants is also known as the angel trumpet.

I do not know why they put them n the same categories, one is a vine & 1 is a plant. Moon vines r of the morning glory category bot moon vines only bloom @ night. Do not let the categories scare u away. BOTH r beautiful plants. The Dantura comes in several colors & we grow them outside here n central La. It comes back every yr if mulched. The moon vine must b planted yearly. ENJOY THEM!

RSS

Latest Activity

Lorraine Smith Pacific NW's photo was featured
1 hour ago
Kathleen Burkhart ~ Zone 5 ~ MI commented on Maria Costa's photo
4 hours ago
Kathleen Burkhart ~ Zone 5 ~ MI commented on Lorraine Smith Pacific NW's photo
Thumbnail

orange

"Beautiful!"
4 hours ago
Kathleen Burkhart ~ Zone 5 ~ MI commented on Lorraine Smith Pacific NW's photo
Thumbnail

heavenly view

"Wow...beautiful!"
4 hours ago
Kathleen Burkhart ~ Zone 5 ~ MI commented on Kathleen Burkhart ~ Zone 5 ~ MI's photo
Thumbnail

Mackinac Island Gardens

"Keryn, The is no Amish settlement on the island...it was originally occupied by  Chippewa (aka Ojibwe) Native Americans. It is approximately 9 miles in circumference...a bit small for motor vehicles. About 80% of the island is…"
4 hours ago
Vicky Myers commented on Community Manager's group Vegetable Gardens
"The boys that are coming to help me eat it right off the plant. They are whole/raw food eaters. I'm hoping to learn from them too. But I like warm cooked foods so it will be hard for me to go raw all the way for awhile."
7 hours ago
Vicky Myers commented on Community Manager's group Vegetable Gardens
"Keryn I grow sorrel but I don't eat it since I don't like things that make me pucker. It goes in salads and anything else you like that tastes like biting into a lemon. Treat it like any other green. Put sorrel recipes into your search…"
7 hours ago
Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia commented on Community Manager's group Vegetable Gardens
"Vicky, what do you use sorrel for."
7 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Community Manager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service