I thought they were different. Moonflower from Morning Glory family and Datura from Angel's Trumpet family. However, when I try to buy the seeds they categorize them as the same. I am looking for the one that the bloom opens during the day as well and thought that was Datura but now not so sure. HELP

Views: 4016

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, you are correct. I stand corrected. I'd love to see your hybrid! Will you post a photo of it, please?

Just as I decided I should take a picture of it last week ...it quit blooming!!  I guess it goes in flushes. 

Been watching it  waiting to it to bloom again.  Its huge and covered in buds right now.  I've cut it back twice already this season.  When it blooms again I'll get some early morning shots and post them here for you to see. 

It looks like a normal datura, aka moonflower bush. The scent is different though.

My brugs are just barely staying alive. :(  This heat is just too much for them even with regular watering.  I quit fertilizing them back early July.  Its just too much to ask of them to produce blooms or growth right now.  :(

Can't wait until mid Sept.  Nights are usually cooler by then and the flowering plants get a little rest from the heat.

Here are the photos I took last month.  This one plant has been cut back three times this season!  It was nearly destroyed by a really bad hail storm.  My whole yard was wiped out in June from that storm. I lost a lot of plants but this guy came back just fine.
Attachments:
Thank you for posting the pictures. They look great. I bought some seeds for the datura of eBay and waiting to see what happens. Hopefully it will establish before it gets too cold. I am in zone 10 off of San Diego, California

U r correct n saying the dantura blooms n the day. This olants is also known as the angel trumpet.

I do not know why they put them n the same categories, one is a vine & 1 is a plant. Moon vines r of the morning glory category bot moon vines only bloom @ night. Do not let the categories scare u away. BOTH r beautiful plants. The Dantura comes in several colors & we grow them outside here n central La. It comes back every yr if mulched. The moon vine must b planted yearly. ENJOY THEM!

RSS

Latest Activity

Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia commented on Jeanette Fuller's blog post Gardens Exist Whereever Their is Imagination
"Great story, I feel like these people are me. Because where ever I am , I have to have some sort of garden, even if its just pot plant."
23 hours ago
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Jeanette Fuller's blog post Melting Out and Budding Up
"My son was stationed in Fairbanks between deployment. What a contrast from December in Iraq to December in AK. Jumping across is not so easy. Thanks for your comments."
yesterday
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Jeanette Fuller's blog post Gardens Exist Whereever Their is Imagination
"I would also feel really lost in such a bleak environment. We were in Germany across the street from the barracks in 1972 living in German rental housing. Lots of chain link & barb wire for a view. Wouldn't want to be stationed in the…"
yesterday
Klara is now a member of Garden-Share
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Community Manager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service