I hope this is the right group to ask this question. About 30 years ago, we moved some iris from my mother in laws parents house (abandoned at the time) to the cemetery where she was buried. We were there yesterday and there are some very small iris remaining. I dug up 7 tubers and potted them when we got home in Miracle Grow potting soil. Is there anything extra I can do to try help these become healthy/larger again? I'd really like to get them going so that my daughter can plant them somewhere in her new yard. She was only 2 when her grandmother died. We are in Zone 8b in Texas.

Thanks for any help.

Views: 70

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Pat. I have lots of Iris's, and I would say don't over water and make sure some of the rhizome is above the soil line. I have found Iris to be extremely hardy, of coarse every climate and Iris plant has different challenges. Hope this helps, Marian

Pat, iris like sunshine and warmth to thrive. In particular their rhizomes like to be exposed to the sun. so when you're able, plant outdoors(they are very hardy) and after planting tug on them to bring them very close to the surface. Do not bury too deeply. Examine the rhizomes first to make sure you have healthy fat ones. If you notice shriveling or small holes(iris borer) toss those.  If yours are big clusters, you may break them up to plant individually.There should be a small "fan" of leaves on each.  It may take a few years for them to bloom in their new conditions but i'll be worth it to have these treasures for your daughter.  Miracle grow may be a bit rich for them too. 

Pat, I hope you can save the Iris, as it sounds like an Heirloom Iris.  I would use information that Zigmund sends you as he is pretty much an expert in growing Iris...  It would be nice if you have a photo to upload as that really helps identify any problems or what is going on!

RSS

Latest Activity

Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia commented on Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia's photo
Thumbnail

daphne cneorum

"Not too far away, I,d say, we will still get cold weather of course, but I guess its,  how many good day verses the bad. My winter is the same as places who get snow, their spring. We have a short dormant time in winter and a longer dormant in…"
1 hour ago
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia's photo
Thumbnail

daphne cneorum

"So your spring is just around the corner then?"
2 hours ago
Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia commented on Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia's photo
Thumbnail

daphne cneorum

"There are different types, some have smaller flowers. These flowers are only about 1". They flower for a long time and me its one of the first signs of better weather."
4 hours ago
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Lorraine Smith Pacific NW's photo
Thumbnail

broccoli with daisies

"Happy I took this photo. The daisies just got taken out while digging up the garlic row today."
6 hours ago
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Lorraine Smith Pacific NW's photo
Thumbnail

kitchen window

"Thank you Joan. The petunia has decided to spread over the top now. I started this basket in the greenhouse, then added the petunia later."
6 hours ago
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Keryn, USDA Zone 10 Australia's photo
Thumbnail

daphne cneorum

"My mother was always talking about daphne, but hers didn't bloom quite as prolific as this."
6 hours ago
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Clare Oliva's photo
Thumbnail

Lovely Coloring

"Do you know which variety this one might be?"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

daphne cneorum

"I have not seen this posted before is it because it is common to all, or is it because its not common?  Many people would be very allergic to this plant , I was, when I was younger, but now I,m Ok with it. Which could be another reason people…"
8 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Community Manager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service