Been spying some beautiful hollyhocks on the side of the highway near my gravel road for a few days--finally just got a shovel and drove there and dug a few out! This site gave me the strength! lol

Views: 42

Replies to This Discussion

cool have tried those from seed but not got them to work

I think they work better from root stock

I think the secret is to char the root where thy've broken off so the roots don't bleed.

I had a few seeds from a friend and they grew into a whole yard full and couldn't get rid of them for nothing. Now that  I'm gonna be  moving to a much cooler  climate and will have the forest in my backyard I think I'd like to try them again. I will tell you some people have the worst luck with getting them to grow but I just left them alone and they flourished beyond. Once the flowers bloom the seeds will propragate on their own. Good luck.

I had some from root stock that did well for about 2 years. Last year they never came back up so not sure what happened to them. My grandma used to have them come up for years. She even had some double hollyhocks. They quit coming up too many years ago.

You brave lady! I've seen many beautiful plants growing wild near local highways and thought about, but never had the nerve to go get them. Pass the courage on!

I am sure people driving by thought I was crazy, but who cares! lol

Well, I used the seed and the hollyhocks are on the way! Not as big as those already established,  but by next season they will be beautiful!

RSS

Latest Activity

Clare Oliva commented on Clare Oliva's photo
Thumbnail

Summer Color

"Thanks Joan. These rudbeckias really brighten up the beds."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

View From the Back Door

"Thank you for the wonderful feedback, Joan. I really appreciate it!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Fluffy Astilbes

"Thanks Joan and Keryn. Yes, planting them in mass definitely has a bigger impact than just planting one or two."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Lovely Pink Phlox

"Thanks Joan!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Path Along Veggie Beds

"Thank you, Joan!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

New Planter Has Really Filled Out

"Thanks Joan! Keryn, yes, this is a very large basket planter mounted on a pole. The pole raises the basket up nice and high so you can see it over the plants in the beds."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Bird Parent Feeding Baby

"Thanks Keryn and Joan. Barb, you have black widows where you are??? Oh MY! That sounds scary."
1 hour ago
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Tammie M McInnis's photo
Thumbnail

Abkhazi Garden

"Well, I hope they don't tear it up to build anything. This place is already perfectly "built" for everyone to enjoy. . ."
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Community Manager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service