Has anyone used the verticle or angled supports to grow plants like cucumbers or squash? I'm interested in trying something this year and would love any suggestions you may have.  

Views: 67

Replies to This Discussion

Cucumber, squash, melons, peas, etc work well on vertical setups.  You can use PVC pipes to form a frame, and hang netting or webbing or even chicken wire from the frame.

R. Lee, do you have any photos of the set up you're talking about with the pvc and netting?  It's my first year not leaving them to their own devices on the ground... 

Many thanks for your ideas!

Leah Martin

I have some squash growing on vertical supports.  They haven't matured yet so I'm not sure how well the setup will hold up under the weight, but here is how it looks now:

I hammered three six-foot garden posts into the ground and slid the upright pipes over them, then tied trellis netting (purhcased at Lowe's) to the pipes.

RSS

Latest Activity

Blompie commented on Blompie's photo
Thumbnail

Pink Spring flowers

"It looks like it could be Weigela florida 'Polka'"
18 hours ago
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW posted photos
yesterday
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Lorraine Smith Pacific NW's photo
Thumbnail

Best arbor shot

"Thanks Joan. New colors still coming out after 11 days. It's not going to rain either! Beautiful bird song & fabulous flowers. What more can we ask? God loves gardeners. . ."
yesterday
Joan *Flower Angel*.. Z-8 commented on Lorraine Smith Pacific NW's photo
Thumbnail

Best arbor shot

"BEAUTIFUL GARDEN... THANKS FOR SHARING... HAPPY GARDENING !"
yesterday

© 2017   Created by Community Manager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service