We are just getting into drip tape. We have always got our water from a small lake, but it dried-up in the drought last year, so we reactivated an old well and installed a drip tape system on four small plots.

Do you lay it on top or bury it? Do you buy the heavy gauge expensive tape or the thin throw-away stuff? We bought the stronger 15mm and we have buried a few rows of it 12" deep. But it must have "floated up" or something because the big tiller caught it (whatta mess!!) and the tiller was set for only a few inches deep.

How do you keep the tape from "snaking' all over the place on longer rows when on top of the ground? It seems to expand and contract with temp changes and controrts so much it actually damages seedlings. That's our main problem. Is there some way to keep it down?

Jack

Views: 249

Replies to This Discussion

Sumthin' tells me I'm in the wrong place. LOL - or I ran everybody off. LOL. Seems like it's all ladies and pretty much all flowers here. Bye.

Jack

Hang in there Jack, there's a few of us hanging around. On to your topic, I'm in the nursery business and have used drip tape (T-tape is the product) for a number of years. I have used it above ground and also buried. There are +'s and -'s to both methods. For above ground we use sod staples to hold it in place. They are a heavy wire product about  1 1/4"  wide and 6" long. You might want to contact a sod producer for some or look for a company that supplies landscape contractors. Our tree crops are 2 or 3 year production cycles and we use the thin wall t-tape. At harvest time it is rolled up and carted off to a plastic recycler.

Never used the tape Jack but what Michel posts sounds pretty good.  Been using drip hoses but get pretty irregular coverage and end up moving them around.  Maybe the tape is something I should be looking into as well (Thanks, Michael.)

This is new to me as well but I would love to learn more.  Going on line now!

Hi Jack, I use the thin drip tape, put it on top and I use soil staples, loosely, to keep them in place. I don't see expansion or contraction happening here.

Jack, I think I know what you mean by expanding and contracting: its full of water when its on making it expand..I plant the seedling on the sides not directly on the tape line, and hold it in place with soil staples.

Hi, yes, I use drip tape. First of all, the hardware: you have to use 10 PSI regulator, anymore will blow the seals off. I recommend a simple 9 volt timer to e programmed for three minutes three time a day in case a leak happens then it wont make another lake.

Then you have to shape the raised rows with a flat top so it stays in the center on the top, not moving around or falling on the sides..it changes everytime the water goes on. Then use soil staples to keep it somewhat in place. The trick is tying the ends and securing them. I just knot it leaving plenty of tail to loop it and use soils staples thru the empty end to keep it in place. Use pieces of the tape as a sleeve to tuck both ends in. Its easier to slide the tape in when the water is on.

Good luck and get used to it, here in California irrigation is the rule not the exception..
Oh, lay it on top!

RSS

Latest Activity

Gylma Norman commented on Josephine Parsons's photo
58 minutes ago
Gylma Norman commented on Gylma Norman's photo
Thumbnail

Inner Garden

"Thank you so much, Kathleen Burkhart, I will share pictures of the other gardens soon."
1 hour ago
Clare Oliva commented on Josephine Parsons's photo
Thumbnail

Final Photo's of my Garden Summer 2014

"That's awesome, Josephine. Great job!!!!"
2 hours ago
Josephine Parsons commented on Josephine Parsons's photo
Thumbnail

Final Photo's of my Garden Summer 2014

"Clare I have got varigated Ivy - Euonymus and quite a few different clematis my fences around my garden are now almost all covered."
7 hours ago
Clare Oliva commented on Grant, Scottsdale,Arizona Zone 9's photo
Thumbnail

Huernia no id east side of house bloom close July 2014

"Grant, here is a picture I took today of my huernia. As you can see there are two buds ready to open! "
14 hours ago
Clare Oliva commented on Lorraine Smith Pacific NW's photo
Thumbnail

Burgundy Splash - North/East Side

"MUCH appreciated, Lorraine. Thank you!"
14 hours ago
Lorraine Smith Pacific NW commented on Lorraine Smith Pacific NW's photo
Thumbnail

"http://www.theplantfarm.com/pdf/TPF-Handout-PFPFertilizers-2012.pdf  Here's the link to their fertilizer secrets which should pertain to you as well as the Pacific NW. There's no price list on their website. I think you need to call.…"
15 hours ago
Clare Oliva commented on Lorraine Smith Pacific NW's photo
Thumbnail

"Lorraine, I just love your secret garden! I don't have much luck with hanging baskets and would love to try the fertilizer you speak so highly of. Does this local Plant Farm sell their fertilizer online? If not or if you don't know,…"
16 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Community Manager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service